Here’s a look at a few of Margaret Lea Houston’s recipes for us all to enjoy as we celebrate General Sam Houston’s birthday on March 2nd and her birthday on April 18th. For more information on the celebrations visit the Sam Houston Memorial Museum Website.
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- ¼ pound salt pork or hog jowl
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Wash peas to remove all gravel.
- Soak overnight.
- Add the peas to boiling water with pork, pepper and onion.
- Cook an equal portion of rice.
- When the peas are done and the water is low, add the rice with a tablespoon of butter, salt and pepper to taste, and as many pinches of cayenne pepper as it takes to keep John hoppin’!
- Serve with onion slices and corn bread.